Ten points if you can guess my excuse for my lateness this week…. Write a comment and I’ll let you know if you’re right.
I know that we are currently on a college series.. but someone sent me the most awe-inspiring message on my instagram (which if you’re not following… fix that immediately) and it was absolutely lovely and I thought that I would have to put the series on hiatus, but I am just now realizing how much confidence plays into what you become in college.
College is new and strange and scary. You could be miles away or a mere minutes. But, you are in a new place with new people in a new stage of life. Even for the most confident person there is a little wariness. I want to help…
When I wake up in the morning, I am careful of the first thing I say. I am careful of the first thing I do and put in my body. This year has been a revelation of what you put into the world is what will be sewn into you and henceforth what will grow out of you.
If you live with me you know that unless I am fully ready in the morning no words come out of my mouth. If you start your day with a life affirming word, a smile, a good thought, or a simple “today is going to be great”, you have set the tone to your day.
I know that being confident is hard. That the world will bog you down and try to trample on the mantra that you might have set for yourself. But all those people who tell you to fake it till you make it are absolutely right. Sometimes we feel that we can’t implement the tools yet or we feel that we aren’t in the right mindset.
I think the first step in the quest for confidence is having the right tools.
- Purposeful conscious thought (esp in the morning)
- This means that the first thing you do when you wake up isn’t grumble or moan. No anger at how early it is or that you have to go to class. No sluggishness or dread. Spend five minutes in the presence of yourself. Make tea/coffee/water. S T R E T C H . Feel the new day on your face and know that you are happy and alive.
- Dress well
- This means either waking up five minutes earlier to pick out what you want to wear orrr setting it out the night before. “Look good, feel good.” This is so true mostly because when you put in that little extra effort for yourself you (once again) set your tone for the day. You are beautiful, accomplished, and successful Revel in knowing that you picked those out and all the decisions you make for the rest of the day will also be good ones.
- Make mistakes
- New day. New choices. Make them. Worry less about being wrong. Trust in being different.
- Create boundaries
- This one is a little tricky. Part of being confident is knowing yourself enough to be comfortable saying NO.
These are stepping blocks and small things to start in your everyday life. They are not magic beans. You won’t grow a beanstalk of confidence in your heart. You nurture, water, and watch it grow.
TO DO LIST FOR ALL YOU WONDERFUL READERS:
- Follow this link
- Let me know what you do to gain confidence.
- Guess my excuse for this week.
- Click that follow button
- Have a wonderful Thursday